Thursday, June 5, 2014

Shop smart for a DSLR

For years now, the DSLR has been the standard for quality images, but the expense (into the thousands of dollars for some cameras) keeps most folks from diving in. Except that DSLR cameras are cheap. Really cheap. You just have to know where to look. And you shouldn't be afraid to buy used. I have two DSLR cameras, and they're the least expensive cameras I own (with the exception of a pinhole camera, but that's a story for another blog).

Want to get your own DSLR? Some advice:

1) I started by researching lenses. You want lenses with the right shape to make sure you get clarity even at the edges of the photo. You want lenses that have only one piece of glass (the more glass, the more potential for fogging and blur). You want lenses that are interchangeable (so you don't have to invest a ton of money in new equipment if you get a nicer camera down the road). User reviews tended to identify the Canon EF series and the Nikon AF series as the least expensive lenses that met my criteria. I ended up picking the Canon EF because there were more of them. I figured that gave me the most flexibility.

2) Next, I researched cameras. Specifically, I went to Wikipedia and read up on camera bodies that used either Canon EF or Nikon AF lenses. I was looking for a wide variety of camera bodies that were generally dependable and that had a full range of potential (very cheap and simple to very expensive and professional). I picked the Canon EOS line because it's been around for a long time so there are lots and lots of cheap, used, quality cameras on the market.

3) Amazon.com suppresses some of its cheaper, older products unless you search specifically. So I got the names of older EOS models from Wikipedia and searched them specifically on Amazon. Amazon tends to suppress older models because they're not what most people want to buy. Searching for them specifically gives you a chance to price compare. Here are some links (and basic information).

Camera Bodies



Canon EOS Rebel XS - this is the camera I take everywhere and that I let middle school students borrow. If you buy just the camera body, you can get it for $130, used, but prices go up and down during the year, depending on how many folks are trying to get rid of their used cameras. Anything under $150 is a really great deal. Some cautions: Do not buy a used camera unless it specifically lists the battery and charger as included. You can get your own extra battery (and you should), but not specifically listing them as included can be a sign of a seller who is not trustworthy.

Canon EOS Rebel XSI - this is the camera most of my friends own, as it takes larger photos than the XS and is not much more expensive. You can get it used for under $180. If you get it from Amazon, don't buy it unless it's in Very Good or Like New condition. Other conditions always mean that the camera has a visible defect or missing part. The seller cannot list it as "Very Good" or "Like New" unless the camera works and works well.

Canon EOS T3 - this is the camera I purchased earlier this year. It is Canon's most popular camera, so you can get a used one for under $250; but you can also get a brand new one for under $300. There is no other Canon DSLR available that cheap, brand new. It takes the same size photos as the XSI, but the electronics have been updated from the XSI, so it has more options and better battery life.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 - Larger photos. Twice the light sensitivity of the T3 (6 times that of the XS). Touch screen. You can get a good, used one for $400.

There are a lot more really good cameras, but these are what fall in the under-$500 range. Remember that all of the prices above are for used cameras. Without lenses.

Camera Lenses



I recommend the 18-55mm lens (it's what I have on my XS) as a good starter. It gives you plenty of range, and it's cheap. I bought mine for $45. Prices fluctuate. If you're willing to purchase a used lens, you should be able to find a good one for $70 or less.

I also recommend the 50mm f1.8 fixed lens. Works well in low-light conditions, and it has absolutely beautiful depth of focus as well as clarity all the way to the outer edges of the photo. I bought mine new for $70.

No comments:

Post a Comment