Monday, May 15, 2023

Have you been to Oregon's ghost forest? Low tide at Neskowin Beach is the best time to catch a glimpse of the petrified stumps of what was once an oceanside forest. Then, as you walk north up the beach, passing Proposal Rock and heading toward Porter Point, every step brings you closer to Pacific City's Haystack Rock, the Nestucca River, and views of Cape Kiwanda. I've done this nearly ten-mile out-and-back hike several times over the years, but back in October 2019, I was visiting this beach for the very first time. People from out of state frequently tell me how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful and varied place. But they don't know how few Oregonians, even those who love the outdoors, make it to more than a handful of their favorite places. There's nothing wrong with having a favorite place or two to visit over and over and over again. I have my favorites - Short Sand Beach, the tunnel at Oceanside, Twin Rocks. But I've also been trying to get to new places, to expand my experience of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. What are your favorites? Where do you go when you head over to the Coast?


No comments:

Post a Comment